Master reset nuvi 30, 40, 50, 52, and 54 series
If you arrived directly to this master reset nuvi page through a search engine or other referral, you should take a moment to read the introduction information on Garmin GPS Master Resets first, then return here to complete the reset. The general articles covers some important information about which type of reset you need and what results to expect from that type of reset.
Note: A master reset will erase all favorites1 and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.
To perform a master reset on a nuvi 30, 40, 50, 52, and 54 series devices:
- Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
- Sometimed the device can appear to be off, but only be in standby mode. To make sure this is not the case and that the device is completely turned off, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device. Then select that option to turn off the device. When the screen blanks out, then the device is completely off.
- Press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
- Power on the device while continuing to hold the lower right hand corner of the display
- Keep holding the corner until you see the message “Erase all user data?” Remove your finger from the touchscreen at that point.
- Touch Yes
- If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right
The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.
1Although the master reset will erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.