Printhead is incorrect. Install Correct Printhead
This error indications that the PIXMA MP500 does not recognize the printhead installed. Although it’s telling you the printhead is incorrect, what this almost always means is that the printhead is the correct one, but the printhead is faulty. If the printhead on your Canon PIXMA MP500 has indeed failed, then it will need to be replaced. It’s very unlikely that someone managed to install the wrong printhead into your PIXMA printer, especially since you’ve probably never had a printhead installed since you purchased it. But before replacing the printhead on your Canon PIXMA MP500, you should go through the following steps to see if it resolves the problem.
Printhead is Incorrect?
No, of course the “Printhead is Incorrect” error message isn’t entirely accurate. There are other conditions that can cause the printer to display the “Type of print head is incorrect. Install correct print head” when the printhead isn’t actually faulty. So please follow these steps to try to resolve this issue before replacing the printhead.
Steps to Fix Incorrect Printhead Error
- Confirm that the printer is powered on.
- Pull open the paper output tray.
- Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. The print head will move to the replacement position.
- Open the inner cover.
- Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.
- Raise the print head lock lever.
- Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.
- Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.
- Insert ink tanks into the print head.
- Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.
- Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.
- Close the inner cover and the scanning unit/printer cover.
There is a possibility that the above procedure will reset the printhead error. If it does, you don’t need to do anything else.
If the printhead error persists, the printhead needs to be replaced, and the PIXMA MP500 requires service. The best place to start with service for your PIXMA printer is Canon. You can contact them using the following information.
Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday – Friday 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to provide you with your available service options.