Reset BIOS Password on HP EliteBook
This article will show you how to Reset the BIOS Password on an HP EliteBook.
If you are having a problem using your EliteBook because you cannot remember or don’t know the BIOS password, don’t worry. Although there are some computers that make resetting or recovering the password impossible, this is not one of them. There is a procedure for resetting the BIOS password on the HP EliteBook 6930p and similar models.
EDIT: Before going through this procedure, please read the comments below. Jazz, a Brainchamber Subscriber, has brought to our attention that this procedure is unlikely to successfully clear the BIOS password. However, he does have an alternate solution that should work for you. Thanks, Jazz! -Mike
Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the
computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.
2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.
3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet
and then unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.
4. Remove the battery (see Battery on page 50).
5. Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery – see the illustration below.
6. Wait approximately 5 minutes.
7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.
8. Connect AC power to the computer. Do not reinsert any batteries at this time.
9. Turn on the computer.
All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.
You should now have access to the computer again without having to enter the BIOS password.