In this article, you will learn how to reset the password on a Windows computer.
When an operating system first comes out, if you forget the Admin password, you are often out of luck. But as time passes, we develop the ability to circumvent security and find a way to reset the password. So even if you’ve been told before that you can’t reset your password, if you have Windows Xp, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 and need to reset your Admin password, the following steps will help you to do that.
- Click the following link: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd
- If you are using Windows XP, click the Windows XP download link and save that file.
- If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the Windows Vista download link and save that file.
- Burn that ISO file to a CD. You can use the application found here if you do not have a CD burner: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
- Place the CD in the problem computer, turn it off, turn it on, press the key that brings up the boot menu on your computer ( F12, ESC, F10 )
- Choose CD-ROM or DVD ROM and allow the computer to boot from it.
- Choose Automatic and press Enter
- Relax for a while. The computer will work on getting it’s own password for you. It is using a modified “brute force” attack. It may take some time to complete depending on how long and complex your password was, but it’s very likely to find it.
- Reboot normally.
If you have regained access to your computer, it’s time to consider changing your password to something more secure. 🙂